I've been using Lilian Wong's Baked Cheesecake recipe for over a year now (Flavours May-June 2007 issue). It's about time I shared it with everyone. She wasn't kidding when she said "impossible to fail" :) Good Luck!
450g Cream Cheese, room tempreture
115g Unsalted Butter, softened
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract (Vanilla Essence works just the same)
200g Caster Sugar
7 Large Eggs (I used Grade A eggs)
450ml Whipping Cream
60ml Lemon Juice
1. Preheat over to 180'C. Prepare a 9inch square tin with lining & greasing the sides with butter. Wrap the outside of the tin with aluminium foil as you will be using another large pan to bake this bain marie-style.
2. Using a cake mixer, beat the Cream Cheese & Butter on medium speed until soft & smooth. Scrape done the sides.
3. Add the Vanilla Essense, Sugar & Cornflour. Mix until smooth.
4. Beat in the Eggs one at a time.
5. Lower the mixer speed & add the Whipping Cream. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides & continue mixing. This will ensure a smooth texture.
6. Add the Lemon Juice.
7. Pour the mixture into prepared tin. Place this tin into the larger pan & put both pans into the preheated oven. Pour hot water - about 3cm deep - into the larger pan.
8. Bake for 30mins & then increase the tempreture to 190'C & continue baking for another 30mins, until the top is pale golden brown.
9. Remove pans from the oven & take the smaller pan out of the larger pan. Allow to stand until cold.
10. Run a knife around the inside of the pan. Cover the cake tin with a large plate / serving tray. Flip over & the cake should slide from the tin to the plate. Refridgerate tune cake for at least 6 hrs before serving.
(I used a loose base cake tin... made it slightly easier to flip it over & into a cake board)