Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Char Siew

It was so coincidental, I had bought pork cuts suitable for making Char Siew and I was browsing "Tastes Like Home"'s blog... she beautifully made Char Siew & Siew Yuk! I fell in love with the photos she took too! I was inspired to try also! hehehehe!

So off I went to do my home work. I compared several Char Siew recipes from the recipe books I had to what's on the web. Looked pretty simple ;)


Ingredients
3 strips of Pork Belly without skin

Seasoning
2 - 3 Tbsp Dark Soya Sauce
3 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee brand)
1 Tbsp Tau Chu Sauce (blended fermented soya bean paste)
2 Tbsp Light Soya Sauce
2 Tbsp Xiao Shing Wine
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp Garlic - chopped
a dash of sesame oil

Method
1. Mix all the seasoning ... taste as you go to see what you'd like to add.

2. Marinade the pork with the seasoning for at least 2 - 3 hours. Preferrably over night.

3. Before you heat your oven, take out the marinated pork belly & leave at room tempreture. Heat oven at 220'C for 10mins. The arrange your pork belly on the rack and roast it for 15mins. Then rub more marinade onto the pork and roast for another 15mins.

4. Roast for another 15mins if you find the meat not cooked properly.

5. Boil the rest of the marinade to make a sauce.


all sliced up on the chopping board

this is me trying to get an artistic shot of my Char Siew







4 comments:

Lilium said...

WOW! Looks good and the recipe looks quite easy. Maybe can try one of these days.

Little Chef said...

You can search around for comparison of ingredients. Then just add to your taste as some like it sweeter / saltier. So mix them up b4 marinating.

Cynthia said...

I am drooling here. Your Char Siew turned out perfect! Now I wish I could have some :)

Little Chef said...

Thanks so much Cynthia! Your recipe & photos were so inspiring to me :) I just had to try making my own - hehehe! Will see if I can improve on it the next round.